2011年12月24日星期六

Quotation Marks的用法


Quotation Marks

1. Place all other punctuation outside quotation marks unless it was contained in the original source.
eg. How dare you call me a "bad apple"!

2.  The use of single quotation marks around an internal quotation enables the reader to easily distinguish the internal quote from the material surrounding it.
eg. "The rationale of the qualified privilege developed by the Court ... invoked the authority of Justice Murphy's Chaplinsky dictum: the calculated falsehood, 'the lie, knowingly and deliberately published about a public official,' is simply beyond the constitutional pale."


Quotation Mark Exercise
1.          Mary is trying hard in school this semester, her father said. 
2.          No, the taxi driver said curtly, I cannot get you to the airport in fifteen minutes.
3.          I believe, Jack remarked, that the best time of year to visit Europe is in the spring. At least that's what I read in a book entitled Guide to Europe.
4.          My French professor told me that my accent is abominable.
5.          She asked, Is Time a magazine you read regularly?
6.          When did Roosevelt say, We have nothing to fear but fear itself?
7.          It seems to me that hip and cool are words that are going out of style.
8.          Yesterday, John said, This afternoon I'll bring back your book Conflict in the Middle East; however, he did not return it.
9.          Can you believe, Dot asked me, that it has been almost five years since we've seen each other?
10.      Certainly, Mr. Martin said, I shall explain the whole situation to him. I know that he will understand.


Quotation Mark Exercise Answers
 1.          "Mary is trying hard in school this semester," her father said. 
2.          "No," the taxi driver said curtly, "I cannot get you to the airport in fifteen minutes."
3.          "I believe," Jack remarked, "that the best time of year to visit Europe is in the spring. At least that's what I read in a book entitled Guide to Europe."
4.          My French professor told me that my accent is abominable.
5.          She asked, "Is Time a magazine you read regularly?"
6.          When did Roosevelt say, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"?
7.          It seems to me that hip and cool are words that are going out of style.
8.          Yesterday, John said, "This afternoon I'll bring back your book Conflict in the Middle East"; however, he did not return it.
9.          "Can you believe," Dot asked me, "that it has been almost five years since we've seen each other?"
10.      "Certainly," Mr. Martin said, "I shall explain the whole situation to him. I know that he will understand."

沒有留言:

發佈留言